11 Oct Promoting Your Pet’s Oral Health: The Benefits of Dental Chews and Dental Diets
One often overlooked aspect of pet health is oral hygiene. The best way to maintain oral health in your pet is daily brushing. However, not all pets allow their teeth to be brushed—then what? Just like humans, pets can suffer from dental problems, but we can help them maintain good oral health by giving them dental chews or a dental diet. In this blog, we’ll discuss the benefits of these products and the significance of the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) in maintaining your pet’s oral health.
Understanding the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
The VOHC is an essential organization dedicated to evaluating and approving products that promote oral health in pets. They consist of a panel of experts, including veterinary dentists, who rigorously test and review various pet oral care products. When a product receives the VOHC seal of approval, it means that it has met specific criteria for safety and efficacy.
What Does VOHC Approval Signify?
When a product is approved by the VOHC, it means it has been shown to be effective in promoting oral health and reducing the risk of dental diseases in pets. To earn this endorsement, products are subjected to clinical trials and thorough evaluations. The VOHC evaluates the product’s ability to reduce plaque and tartar, which are primary contributors to dental issues in pets. When you choose a product with the VOHC seal, you can be confident that you are making a safe and effective choice for your pet’s oral health.
The Benefits of Dental Chews and Dental Diets
- Plaque and Tartar Control: Dental chews and diets are specially formulated to reduce the buildup of plaque and tartar on your pet’s teeth. Plaque is a soft, sticky film of bacteria that can harden into tartar over time. These dental products help prevent this buildup, reducing the risk of dental disease.
- Fresh Breath: Dental issues often lead to bad breath in pets. By using dental chews or diets, you can help your pet maintain fresh breath, making cuddle time much more enjoyable.
- Prevention of Dental Diseases: Periodontal disease, tooth decay, and gum infections are common dental issues in pets. Dental chews and diets can significantly reduce the risk of these conditions, ultimately leading to better overall health for your furry companion.
- Promotion of Dental Health: Regular chewing and gnawing on dental chews help strengthen your pet’s jaw and reduce stress. It also provides mental stimulation and entertainment, making it a win-win for both oral and mental health.
- Ease of Use: Dental chews and diets are easy to incorporate into your pet’s daily routine. Simply replace a regular treat or part of their meal with a dental option to start reaping the benefits.
- Cost-Effective: Preventive measures are often more cost-effective than treating dental diseases once they develop. Dental chews and diets are a relatively affordable way to maintain your pet’s oral health.
Avoiding Potential Dental Disease
Preventing dental disease in pets is crucial for their overall well-being. Dental problems can lead to pain, difficulty eating, and systemic health issues if left untreated. By using VOHC-approved dental chews and diets, you are taking a proactive approach to ensure your pet’s dental health.
In conclusion, choosing dental chews and diets for your pets can make a significant difference in their oral health. The approval of these products by the VOHC offers peace of mind, knowing that you are selecting a high-quality, effective solution. By incorporating these products into your pet’s daily routine, you can help them enjoy fresh breath, strong teeth, and overall better health, while also avoiding potential dental diseases. So, give your pet a reason to smile with these beneficial oral care options!
Pet Dental Cleanings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A yearly dental cleaning is still recommended even with preventative care. For more information on dental cleanings visit our website at: http://vetdentistwi.com/services/pet-dental-cleanings/